Limitations seem real when we lack faith and belief.
With faith and belief, anything is possible.
“I’m too old.”
“I don’t have enough experience.”
“Someone else has probably done this already.”
These are just a few examples of self-limiting beliefs that can prevent you from achieving your goals in business or in life. There are plenty more limiting beliefs out there, and you probably have a few of them—we all do.
Today we are going to talk about 3 aspects to identifying your self-limiting beliefs.
Limitations seem real when we lack faith and belief. With faith and belief, anything is possible.
Limiting beliefs are those beliefs about ourselves which constrain us in some way. Just by believing them, we think, or do or say the things that they inhibit. And in doing so we impoverish our lives. Limiting beliefs are often about ourselves and our self-identity.
In this episode we will explore 3 aspects of self-limiting beliefs. 1.) Defining What Are Self-Limiting Beliefs. 2.) Explore Some Examples of Limiting Beliefs in Business. And then, 3.) We’ll go through the process of identifying your own limiting beliefs.
Many of us set goals or resolutions, often around New Year, and many of us fall short—often around February. Then we beat ourselves up over our lack of willpower, and start the cycle all over again next year.
If that sounds like your experience, it could well be that limiting beliefs have held you back from achieving your goals. So lay the blame aside for now, and try to analyze what went wrong.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself:
- Were your goals realistic?
- If so, why didn’t you meet them? Was it due to external factors, or your own behavior, or a combination?
- Focusing on your own behaviour, what could you have done differently?
- Why didn’t you do that at the time? What outcomes were you most afraid of or worried about?
- What patterns can you observe? At times when you’ve felt blocked or stalled, what is it that prevents you from taking action? What stories do you tell yourself?
Describe your upbringing:
- What were your parents or guardians like?
- What were their values?
- What did they teach you about the world?
- What did you learn from them about things like taking risks vs. being safe, what’s possible in life and what isn’t, what you’re capable of and what you’re not?
- What about your wider environment, like school, extended family, local community, and/or religious institutions? What did they teach you about yourself?
- What did you learn about your identity (nationality, gender, ethnicity, economic status, physical appearance, etc.) and how did that affect your sense of possibility? Were you ever told things like “Girls don’t do X” or “People like us can never do Y”?
- Did you feel confident or lacking in confidence? Or did you feel confident in some areas, but not others? Which ones?
- As you grew older, which of these early lessons did you react most strongly against? What did you learn about yourself that contradicted what you’d been taught?
In our next episode we will explore how to Overcome Your Limiting Beliefs. Again, this is not a simple task, but we will look at six techniques that can be helpful.
Also if you want to learn more about how to create extra income by starting a home business where you can pick your passion, that requires very little startup capital, that’s backed by a 22 year old company, then visit http://AIMHighForSuccess.com
Keith Abell, RPh cMTM MI
AIM High Business Solutions
Office: (502) 791-5949
Cell: (502) 212-2929