Part 7 in Series: FDA Doesn’t Regulate Shampoos & Conditioners – Propylene Glycol
That is a real shock, isn’t it? Well, read on for more details….
As I mentioned in the previous post, I have learned a lot about the lack of safety concerns and regulations since I began researching the role that nutrition plays in our overall health.
The first thing that was a real eye opener was that for the most part, the FDA doesn’t regulate cosmetics and personal care products. So when we thought they’d let us know about toxins and harmful ingredients….they weren’t empowered to do that! Since 1894, this industry has been a self policing organization called the Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association – or now known as the Personal Care Products Council. It’s made up of over 600 different product distributors and manufacturers. It’s about like having the fox watch the hen house to ensure ‘voluntary regulation’.
What is even MORE shocking is that there are more safety regulations and far more banned chemicals in places like the EU, Canada, Japan, and other health conscious markets than here in the U.S.A. Makes it feel an awful lot like consumers are guinea pigs.
So, what do you need to be aware of in your own products like shampoos, conditioners, lotions, etc.? Make use of resources that help you determine what is safe for your health and that of your family. For example, the following ingredients are just a few of the toxins that can actually make you ill if you use them daily in shampoos and conditioners:
· Propylene Glycol – This ingredient is found in engine coolants and antifreeze, airplane deicers, tire sealants, rubber cleaners, polyurethane cushions, paints, enamels, and other products as a solvent or surfactant. It’s a skin irritant that can also cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage. It’s more than likely in your shampoo!
REMEMBER, your skin cannot protect you against these toxins. It is NOT a barrier to entry as many of the medical patches have proven for years. And toxins in your shampoo and conditioner could well be MORE toxic than what is in your food.
Keith Abell, RPh MI