FDA Doesn’t Regulate Shampoos & Conditioners – Paraben
That is a real shock, isn’t it? Well, read on for more details….
As I mentioned in the previous post, I have learned a lot about the lack of safety concerns and regulations since I began researching the role that nutrition plays in our overall health.
Here is the next toxin that can be found in these products that actually make you ill if you use them daily in shampoos and conditioners:
· Paraben – Used as a preservative, this toxin has been linked to hormone and endocrine system disruption. Used as an antimicrobial ingredient, this chemical is considered a xeno-estrogen (false estrogen) because it interferes with normal hormonal and estrogen behavior. Xeno-estrogens mimic, disrupt and block normal behavior and pathways. For example, parabens can impact fertility, pregnancy, menstruation, and even fat cell activity. Too much estrogen can cause weight gain, fluid retention and depression. Scientists have found paraben nodules in breast cancer tumors.
Note: Check your product labels for these names –
- Parahydroxybenzoic acid
- Benzyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid
- Methyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid
- Propyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid
- Butyl-parahydroxybenzoic acid
REMEMBER, your skin cannot protect you against these toxins. It is NOT a barrier to entry as many of the medical patches have proven for years. And toxins in your shampoo and conditioner could well be MORE toxic than what is in your food.
Keith Abell, RPh MI
Leave a Reply